Sunday, October 19, 2008

Finally

It has taken eight games this season, but it finally happened. Utah actually looked like they belonged in the top 25. I realize that I have been critical of the U this season, but with such high expectations and from what the coaches have told us, I had yet to have seen what I had been promised until this week. Utah actually looked like a high profiled offense. They looked good. They looked like they could score at will and that is pretty much what they did. The ground game is what really looked sharp yesterday. With over 300 yards of total rushing yards, even I can't complain about that. Yes last week I was upset that the leading rusher was our backup QB who comes in to run every once in a while, but this week I was impressed with Louks' running. He deserved to be the leading rusher. With over 100 yards and two TD's he had a great game. He is fast as all get out and I liked the way he was utilized in the game. His 69 yard dash helped out his total yardage, the best part of it all was he probably ran over 100 yards on the run! He covered the entire width of the field on the run, it was great. Even more impressive was the fact that the Utes had 8 people who added to the rushing total, including Brent Casteel. The only thing that I didn't like was that the Utes still didn't find a way to get the ball to Casteel through the air. That has got to happen. Utah has so many guys on offense that it is highly unlikely that any Ute will have outstanding numbers game after game, but Brian Johnson has to start finding Casteel in the air. He is too good to be getting the ball into his hands on a regular basis.
The question I have from this game is how much of Utah's success was the lack of the Colorado State defense? One might be able to make a little bit of an argument here, but I really think that the U just stepped it up and finally put together a complete performance on offense. Granted Colorado St. is not the greatest, but they came off a huge home win beating UNLV two weeks ago and then last week they held TCU to just 13 points the entire game with a blocked PAT. The same TCU that beat the Cougs this week 32 to 7. So sure CSU is not the most potent team, but they are capable of pulling off good performances here and there and the Utes were just too much for them to handle.

I was impressed with the play calling yesterday, but I am not a fan of Ludwig. All he proved to me yesterday was that he is capable of doing much, much better that he has been doing all season! The offense just seemed to click yesterday. The o-line was blocking well and opening up holes for the running game, Brian Johnson had time to throw and he threw the ball accurately, the game had a very balanced feel to it. It was actually fun to watch. I only found myself criticizing Ludwig a few times during the game, but overall I would have thought Ludwig had been fired over the past week. I realize I was only dreaming, but it felt good. If Ludwig wants to start rebuilding his reputation, our offense will look the same against TCU. After the Horned Frogs tackled the Cougs with ease, I got real nervous for that game. But after this weekend, and knowing that the Utes seem to play to the level of their opponents, I think they have a good chance of making it through the year unbeaten. Still I am terrified that Ludwig is still at the helm of our offense, but hopefully our players are going to be good enough to overcome the poor play calling by the o-coordinator.

This week will provide for a breath of fresh air as the Utes get a week off. With the Utes in position to get a BCS bid, they will need to focus on their remaining schedule to make sure they get there. Having a week off to get some of their injured back and prep for a tough road game in New Mexico will be great. With New Mexico, TCU and BYU left on the schedule, the Utes are far from winning the MWC and going to a BCS bowl game. The only plus is that we get to play San Diego State in there and that will be a breeze. If the Utes can come out and win in New Mexico, and not just walk away with a win, but really beat New Mexico soundly, I will be feeling a lot better about the Utes as they go into the final stretch of the season. Go UTES!

No comments: