Monday, December 15, 2008

BLAZE!!


So those of you who have not heard, the Arena Football League announced today that the 2009 season has officially been suspended with hopes to resume play again in 2010. For those of you who do not know what the Arena Football League is, its a football league that started just over 22 years ago and aside for the Canadian Football League, its the only league in America to survive as long as it has. Except of course the NFL. The AFL plays inside, has a shorter field, less players on the field, different goal posts, and has walls lining the field. It is a much faster paced game than traditional football, the scores are much much higher, and it is very loud. Some who are football die hards have a hard time watching because of the unorthodox style of play, but it is fun to watch the game.

The AFL apparently has a few teams that are really struggling financially, as well as the AFL its self. Suspending the season does not necessarily mean that the AFL is leaving for good, but taking the season off to step back and make necessary improvements to improve the financial stability of the league and its teams. The economic model that the league has been using is not as strong as it should be, and much like other companies in today's recession like atmosphere, the AFL plans to restructure and improve it to better benefit the league and its teams.

Those of you who know me know that I have been working for the Utah Blaze since August. This news took our office somewhat by surprise because the Blaze are not one of the teams who are struggling. Luckily for me, I was just interning here and not employed full time. However, I was offered to stay on and begin working full time in January. It doesn't look like that is going to happen anymore! I guess stuff like this happens and all you can do is move on and find something else. I thought trying to work in the sports world would somewhat protect me from things like a recession, but I guess I was proved wrong. I just hope that the guys I work with are able to find something else quickly, its not really a good time to find yourself on the unemployment list.

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

The Berg's said...

I have a better idea, why can't the government just bail out the league? You know throw a couple billion $'s at it. That would help.
You can have my old job, I start the new one on January 26th